Lisa Mosko's LA Best Eats
1. Sunny Blue - "The most amazing hand made onigiri (fresh warm rice ball wrapped in a sheet of nori), all made to order with so many different savory toppings like miso beef or mushroom, chicken wafu curry, or spicy cod roe. The food feels (is?) authentic, and is very hard to find outside of Japan. They take onigiri to a whole new level."
12608 W Washington Blvd A, Los Angeles, CA 90066
2. Chocovivo - "Batch made stone ground chocolate made on the premises. Small and quiet spot with warm ambience. They have a dark chocolate tasting bar, as well as a menu that offers sipping chocolates, chocolate chip cookies, and various mochas. My personal favorite is the "Chocogato": a shot of dark warm melted chocolate poured over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. They also offer vegan nuts milks and ice cream to pair with the desserts, and maintain a direct fair trade based relationship with their suppliers in Africa."
12469 W Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90066
3. Rose Cafe - "Great mix of laid back ambiance, very sophisticated and delicious food and drinks, and flawless service. The outdoor patio in the back feels like you've been transported out of LA to a beautiful island vacation. The summer special appetizer of roasted melon with prosciutto is off the hook, but all the food is absolutely top notch. I went with friends who are wine connoisseurs, and they were impressed by the offerings, as well."
220 Rose Ave, Venice, CA 90291,
4. Guisado's - "Hands down the most amazing tacos I have ever eaten. The fresh handmade tortillas are soft, pliable, pillowy . . . they're closer to crepes than the tortillas I grew up having on the east coast. The name means "braised in Spanish, which is how they make all of their fillings, in house. The chorizo and mole is excellent, as are the vegetarian hongos con cilantro, and calabacitas. The quesadilla is beyond - it's made with a soft mexican white cheese called queso panela, and laced with chipotle and sour cream. Guisado's is not about ambience and decor - it's got a very down to earth lunch counter vibe. I go just for the food, which is the best!"
8935 California Route 2, West Hollywood, CA 90069
5. El Compadre - "Very old school "American" style Mexican food with live mariachi. Has been a known hang out spot for a lot of Hollywood players since it opened in 1975. The food is good, but the leather booths, flaming margaritas and people watching make it my go to when getting together with friends."
7408 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046