Caitlyn Leary's NYC Cheeseburgers
"A version of the cheeseburger can most likely be found on any restaurant menu serving American cuisine, but they aren't all good and only some are really great. My boyfriend Aaron and I started our own journey to try to find our favorites throughout the city, taking well needed breaks in between. Not the most healthy meal of course, but they do go really well with a cold beer or a dirty martini."
1. Minetta Tavern - "An old bar/restaurant in the west village with charactuers covering the walls of famous and local patrons who also appreciated the local and cozy vibe. Their "Black Label Burger" is made with Pat LaFrieda's beef and caramelized onions. You can add cheddar cheese or keep it simple, which is just as mouthwatering because of the rich ingredients. At $32 a burger, its a bit pricey, but definitely worth the splurge every once and a while. Important to make a reservation if seeking a table... we've been lucky to snag a couple bar seats on our visits but if your party is bigger then two, I wouldn't recommend it."
113 Macdougal St, New York, NY 10012
2. Corner Bistro - "An old bar/restaurant in the west village, more on the dive bar side. This is your standard bar burger. Cheap and easy. They are able to get them out to you quick and the burgers are that perfect grill top greasy, not like a fast food burger, but the comfort taste you appreciate when you're only paying $8. Great to go to just hang at the bar, anytime of the year, whenever you're in the neighborhood and enjoy a good burger with a cold beer."
331 West 4th Street, New York, NY 10014
3. The Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien Hotel - "A little dive spot hidden behind a curtain in Le Parker Meridien Hotel with quick bar burgers, pitchers of beer, cheap wine and milkshakes. Especially cheap for the area, the quirky location for this burger makes the experience that much more fun. Its super small, so lines form quick but the turnover isn't so bad."
Le Parker Meridien, 119 W 56th St, New York, NY 10019
4. JG Melon - "An older dive bar on the Upper East Side and easily an institution in the area. Their burger is simple and tasty, just meat, cheese and a bun, condiments are what you make them. Their "Bloody Bull" is something special, with Au Jus as an added flavor to the traditional bloody mary mix. Great for a Sunday brunch, go early or wait in line."
1291 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10021
5. Moloko - "A newer bar in Bed Stuy, Brooklyn, this one might not be on too many other lists, but their burger is great. A simple bar burger, with some added special sauce and crispy fries on the side. Not super divey, but doesn't kill you with too many Edison bulbs either. A comforting mix of nostalgic bar elements made new again. Great dirty martinis and good choice of rye liquors make a perfect complement to your burger."
705 Myrtle Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11205